Hipchat Server synchronizes all users from Crowd directory
This Knowledge Base article was written specifically for the Atlassian Server platform. Due to the Functional differences in Atlassian Cloud, the contents of this article cannot be applied to Atlassian Cloud applications.
This is for an outdated version of Hipchat Server
This article applies to a version of Hipchat Server which will be deprecated soon. After that period the version will no longer be supported.
The following versions have been deprecated:
- Hipchat Server 1.3 (EOL Date: Aug 17, 2017)
- Hipchat Server 2.0 (EOL Date: Jun 17, 2018)
- Hipchat Server 2.1 (EOL Date: Dec 8, 2018)
The following version will be deprecated soon:
- Hipchat Server 2.2 (EOL Date: May 30, 2019)
You can read more about Atlassian's End of Life policy here.
You should upgrade to a more recent version of Hipchat Server as soon as you can to take advantage of new features, and security and bug fixes.
When synchronizing users to Hipchat Server from Crowd, all of the users present in the directory will be synchronized into Hipchat Server. Filtering synchronized users by group within the Crowd directory is not possible.
- All versions of Hipchat Server with directory integration (v1.1.7 and newer)
By design, Hipchat Server does not have a group structure for managing users. While group data is included in a synchronization from an external Crowd directory, it is "flattened" and cannot be used to designate which users are able to log into and use Hipchat Server.
This workaround involves importing existing users into a newly created directory within Crowd, which will contain only those users that should be able to access Hipchat Server. Please see Importing Users from One Crowd Directory into Another for requirements and additional information prior to beginning.
Users duplicated in multiple Crowd directories will not share license seats. As example, if User X is copied from Directory A to Directory B, User X will take two seats on the license. This issue has been resolved in Crowd 2.11 - - CWD-4735Getting issue details... STATUS
- Within Crowd, create a new directory for the users that will be synced to Hipchat Server (DIRECTORIES -> ADD DIRECTORY). Create an internal directory and name it Hipchat. This directory will be blank.
- Navigate to the Users tab and select IMPORT USERS, then select DIRECTORY IMPORTER.
- SOURCE DIRECTORY should be the directory which currently contains the users that will log into Hipchat.
- DESTINATION DIRECTORY should be the newly created Hipchat directory.
- Select CONTINUE. This will copy those users/groups over to the Hipchat directory.
- After following the prompts to complete the import, navigate to the APPLICATIONS page, select your Hipchat application, and add the new Hipchat directory. Remove the current directory.
- Navigate to the USERS page, select the Hipchat directory in the DIRECTORY drop-down and hit Search.
- You should now be able to sync all the users present in the new directory over to Hipchat Server.
Internal Crowd directories that pull in users from another source (i.e. LDAP or AD) cannot be used to export users into a blank directory due to mismatch of 'Password Encryption'. See Importing Users from One Crowd Directory into Another for more information.