Hipchat Server upgrade throws error STDERR: dpkg: dependency error for libc6
This article only applies to Atlassian's server and data center products. Learn more about the differences between cloud and server.
This is for an outdated version of Hipchat Server
This article applies to a version of Hipchat Server which will be deprecated soon. After that period the version will no longer be supported.
The following versions have been deprecated:
- Hipchat Server 1.3 (EOL Date: Aug 17, 2017)
- Hipchat Server 2.0 (EOL Date: Jun 17, 2018)
- Hipchat Server 2.1 (EOL Date: Dec 8, 2018)
The following version will be deprecated soon:
- Hipchat Server 2.2 (EOL Date: May 30, 2019)
You can read more about Atlassian's End of Life policy here.
You should upgrade to a more recent version of Hipchat Server as soon as you can to take advantage of new features, and security and bug fixes.
When upgrading Hipchat Server, after the server attempts to reboot, it does not restart the Hipchat services
The following appears in the /var/log/chef
INFO: Processing bash[apt-fix-dpkg-configure-all] action run (ubuntu::local line 3) [0m ================================================================================[0m [31mError executing action `run` on resource 'bash[apt-fix-dpkg-configure-all]'[0m ================================================================================[0m [0m Mixlib::ShellOut::ShellCommandFailed[0m ------------------------------------[0m Expected process to exit with , but received '1' ---- Begin output of "bash" "/tmp/chef-script20161018-2784-1iz5psv" ---- STDOUT: Setting up initramfs-tools (0.99ubuntu13.5) ... update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated) Setting up base-files (7.2ubuntu5.4) ... Processing triggers for libc-bin ... ldconfig deferred processing now taking place Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ... update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-54-generic STDERR: dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libudev1: libudev1 depends on libc6 (>= 2.17); however: Version of libc6 on system is 2.15-0ubuntu10.10. dpkg: error processing libudev1 (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
- Upgrading from Hipchat Server 1.4.0, 1.4.1, or 1.4.2 to any current release.
- Review the /var/log/chef.log to confirm the exception matches the libc6 message above.
- There is a circular dependency that causes the libc6 package to fail during installation due to a bug in the Hipchat Server upgrade code.
- Upgrades from Hipchat Server 1.4.0 - 1.4.2 require that you run some extra command line steps before you upgrade. You will need to access the Hipchat Server.
If the error is encountered in the chef.log during an upgrade, please log in to the Hipchat Server command line console and execute the following steps:
wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/hipchat-server-stable/utils/chat-113.tar.gz tar -zxvf chat-113.tar.gz cd chat-113 && sudo dont-blame-hipchat -c './install.sh'
Once the server is patched, please re-run the upgrade by performing an Offline Upgrade of Hipchat Server or by running the following command (if the Hipchat Server has internet access):
hipchat upgrade --force-upgrade