Hipchat Server Web Interface Inaccessible and Shows a "Services Starting" Message
This article only applies to Atlassian's server products. Learn more about the differences between cloud and server.
This is for an outdated version of Hipchat Server
This article applies to a version of Hipchat Server which will be deprecated soon. After that period the version will no longer be supported.
The following versions have been deprecated:
- Hipchat Server 1.3 (EOL Date: Aug 17, 2017)
- Hipchat Server 2.0 (EOL Date: Jun 17, 2018)
- Hipchat Server 2.1 (EOL Date: Dec 8, 2018)
The following version will be deprecated soon:
- Hipchat Server 2.2 (EOL Date: May 30, 2019)
You can read more about Atlassian's End of Life policy here.
You should upgrade to a more recent version of Hipchat Server as soon as you can to take advantage of new features, and security and bug fixes.
The Web Interface of the Hipchat Server is inaccessible. The message "Services Starting" appears without further progress.
The following appears in the
Short read or OOM loading DB. Unrecoverable error, aborting now.
Check if the server's disk is full. Disk space can be checked from the server by logging into the server's command line terminal and running:
A full disk from the command above will look similar to this:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda6 59G 59G 0G 100% /
If the disk gets full, the Redis persistence cache can become corrupted and the service is unable to start.
- Clear up or increase disk space. Please see the following article for tips on how to proceed:
- Once the disk space issue is resolved, stop the Redis service by gaining root and stopping the Redis service. The following commands will accomplish this:
sudo dont-blame-hipchat service redisserver stop
Still as the root user, backup and then remove the following files:
Start the Redis and Redis Stats service:
service redisserver start service redisstats start
- Attempt to log back in to the Hipchat Server Web Interface.