Sending Windows client logs to Support for versions 4.0+
This article explains how to enable logging in the Windows Hipchat client (4.0 and later) and how to send the logs to Hipchat Support.
Sometimes Hipchat Support needs additional information from the Hipchat client that is experiencing issues. Not all bugs are duplicatable, and oftentimes we can capture information that is helpful in troubleshooting and fixing bugs through logging.
Get the log file from your file system
Open up File Explorer and paste in the following path. The logs will be available in this directory:
Note about enabling logging
If you are on a version less than 4.0.1634, you will have to enable logging with the steps listed below before they become available. Otherwise, logs of recent activity are generated by default and the steps below are not necessary.
If you updated a shortcut to work in this manner pre-4.0.1634, it may fail to start the app. The updater will correct the Start Menu and Desktop shortcuts but any user generated shortcuts will still retain this flag. The flag will have to be removed from the shortcut for it to start working again.
These steps are no longer required with the 4.28 client, since logging is enabled by default. Adding --logtofile with this version will cause the app to not start.
When you enable logging, you can choose to make the log file accessible from your computer's file system.
- Quit Hipchat. (Right-click the Hipchat icon in the system tray, then choose Quit.)
- On your desktop, right-click the Hipchat shortcut icon and choose Properties.
- In the Target field, add the following to the end of the line:
--logtofileto make the file accessible in your computer's file system
- It looks like this:
- When a message prompts you to provide administrator permission, click Continue.
- Click OK.
If you don't have a Hipchat shortcut on your desktop:
- Open a command prompt, change to the Hipchat install directory:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\HipChat4
--logtofileto the Hipchat executable:
Generate and send the log file
- Log in to Hipchat and try to duplicate the behavior that you want to capture in the logs.
- After the behavior happens, get the log file either from your file system.
- Remove any sensitive data from the log file. (See What's included in the log?)
- Add the log file to your Hipchat Support ticket.
What's included in the log?
These logs will capture what the application is doing in the background. This helps Hipchat Support in finding, troubleshooting, and fixing bugs.
PLEASE NOTE: While most of the chat data will be removed from the logs, the logs could still have some history for open chats. If there is sensitive information, please go through the logs and check to make sure that the sensitive data is removed before sending them over to us.
Additional Hardware Information with DirectX Diagnostic Tool
Some issues may require additional information about your specific system's hardware configuration for us to troubleshoot. To gather this data, please use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool that is bundled with Windows.
- Open DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button , type dxdiag in the Search box, and press ENTER.
- Choose "Save All Information..." to save the resulting report.
- Add the DirectX Diagnostic report to your Hipchat Support ticket.