Some functionalities are broken after updating Hipchat Server hostname
This article only applies to Atlassian's server products. Learn more about the differences between cloud and server.
This is for an outdated version of Hipchat Server
This article applies to a version of Hipchat Server which will be deprecated soon. After that period the version will no longer be supported.
The following versions have been deprecated:
- Hipchat Server 1.3 (EOL Date: Aug 17, 2017)
- Hipchat Server 2.0 (EOL Date: Jun 17, 2018)
- Hipchat Server 2.1 (EOL Date: Dec 8, 2018)
The following version will be deprecated soon:
- Hipchat Server 2.2 (EOL Date: May 30, 2019)
You can read more about Atlassian's End of Life policy here.
You should upgrade to a more recent version of Hipchat Server as soon as you can to take advantage of new features, and security and bug fixes.
Hipchat Server's hostname is updated through the UI and afterwards two issues started to occur:
- Mail notifications of missed messages are not being sent out/users do not receive it
- Custom build monitoring integrations no longer sending messages to rooms
In the logs (/var/log/hipchat), admin can see that it's still referring to the old hostname and it appears that the new hostname update is not taking effect entirely on the server. The hostname update had been propagated to some services but some others did not pick it up.
Hipchat Server deployed as an OVA to a VMware hypervisor
Check if the following outputs are using the new hostname or otherwise:
- cat /etc/localenv.sh
- cat /etc/chef/solo.json
- cat /etc/hosts
- cat /etc/monit.d/host.monitrc
- cat /etc/ovfenv.sh - the settings you see here are taken specifically from the vApps settings
Check the cache in the server if it's still referring to the old hostname by running the following command in the server terminal/command-line:
echo "keys *" | xargs redis-cli | grep <old-hostname>
The old hostname in vApp settings in the VMware vCenter configuration is not updated to use the new hostname. It appears that VMWare vApps setting are overriding server settings. We have an internal bug report open to further investigate this matter and fix it.
- Backup Hipchat Server
- Update the correct hostname on the vApps setting
- Reboot the server