Troubleshooting emails fail to be sent out from Hipchat Server
Platform notice: Server and Data Center only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
Emails are not being sent out from Hipchat Server. Users never received the following email notifications:
- Account confirmation email
- Password reset email
- Missed notification (mentioned in rooms or 1-1 chat when user is offline) email
Cause & Resolution
The root cause of the issue varies depending on the errors you're seeing in the logs and from the output of mail queue in the server. Whenever you encounter failure to receive email notifications issue, you can check further on the followings:
- Double check your SMTP relay email configuration (if any) from https://server-fqdn/server_admin/email. At times, wrong relay host is configured.
- Make sure your Mail Server can successfully communicate with Hipchat Server. You may run ping test, ping the Mail Server from Hipchat terminal and vise versa.
- Find related errors in /var/log/hipchat/mail.log*
- View the output of mailq command - you can run this from server terminal/command-line interface*
*The error message is usually self-explanatory and would point you out to the root cause.
Sample error from the logs:
status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=smtp.sendgrid.net type=MX: Host not found, try again)
When you see this error, you can check the DNS and see if it's resolving correctly. If the DNS is pointed to a private DNS server on your
VPN, you can try to update the configuration and point it to Google public DNS server instead via this command: hipchat network -r 188.8.131.52. Emails should be coming through afterwards.
If you require further assistance, please contact support at email@example.com
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article