Adding a field to an issue
JIRA Admins can add an existing field or create a custom field while in View Issue with the Admin > Add field option. You can even configure the options for that custom field without having to leave the screens you are presented with.
Custom fields enable JIRA administrators to quickly customize the way issues look. In addtion to adding this new field to the View issue screen, it is also added to the Create and Edit screens as well. This means you can edit the field you just created instantly, and input data into that field the next time you add an issue.
Finally, when creating a custom field, you can choose between Standard and Advanced types. For Standard types, a preview image is shown for each type, so you can see what you are creating in advance.
Adding a new field
Use this procedure to add a new field while in the View issue screen.
- Select the Admin > Add field option. You are presented with this screen, where you can enter your field name (as shown here):
- Once you have entered an acceptable field name (it cannot be the name of a field that already exists), click Create.
- Select a field type from the displayed list and click Next.
- Configure the selection criteria for your field, as shown in the example below:
Click Create when you are happy with your field options.
- You are presented with your options. Make a selection and click Submit. This field now displays on your issue screen:
Adding a field that already exists
Use this procedure to add a field that already exisits while in the View issue screen.
- Select the Admin > Add field option. Click the down arrow on the Name selection box, as shown here:
Note: Only fields that aren't already in use on the displayed issue are available.
- Select a field from the list and click Add.
- If necessary, select any display options and click Submit.
You will see a message display briefly on your View issue screen that tells you the issue was added.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!