Creating Release Notes
JIRA provides the functionality to create release notes for a specific version of a project. The release notes contain all issues within the specified project that are marked with a specific "Fix For" version. The release notes can also be generated in a number of formats (e.g. HTML, plain text, etc.) so as they can be included in various documents.
At present, two example format templates are provided - HTML and Text - using Velocity templates. Further format templates can be created and added to the system.
Generating Release Notes
On the top navigation bar, click the white triangle next to Projects. The projects dropdown will display.
Tip: You can access your current project directly by simply clicking the Projects link instead of the triangle.
Click the project you wish to browse. If the project is not displayed in the dropdown, click View All Projects, which allows you to view a list of all accessible projects on your JIRA site, and select your project from there.
- Select Releases in the project navigation sidebar.
- Select the Version whose release notes you wish to generate by clicking on it.
- Click the 'Release Notes' link. The 'Release Notes' page will be displayed.
- Click the 'Configure Release Notes' link to configure the release notes. The 'Configure Release Notes' page will be displayed:
- Select the required project version for which the release notes will be generated in the 'Please select version' dropdown.
- Select the required format of the release notes — HTML and plain text format templates are provided in the 'Please select style' dropdown.
- Selecting the 'Create' button will generate the release notes using the specified template in the specified format. The release notes will be displayed on screen and can be copied and pasted to another application.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!