Defining Resolution Field Values
Resolutions are the ways in which an issue can be closed. JIRA ships with a set of default resolutions, but you can add your own as follows.
Defining a new resolution
Don't create a Resolution named "Unresolved"/"None"
Any issue that has the Resolution field set is treated by JIRA as "resolved". The Issue Navigator displays Unresolved when no resolution is set for an issue. So adding a resolution named Unresolved/None and setting it in an issue will mean that the issue is seen by JIRA as resolved. This will lead to confusion and is not recommended.
- Log in as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission.
- Choose > Issues. Select Resolutions to open the View Resolutions page, which lists the standard resolutions, along with a form for adding new resolutions.
Keyboard shortcut: g + g + start typing resolutions
- Complete the Add New Resolution form at the bottom of the page:
- Name — enter a short phrase that best describes your new resolution.
- Description — enter a sentence or two to describe when this resolution should be used.
The View Resolutions page can be used to edit, delete, set as default, and re-order the resolutions as they are displayed to the user who is resolving an issue.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!