Importing Data from FogBugz On Demand
The JIRA Importers plugin, which is bundled with JIRA, allows you to import data from FogBugz On Demand, a 'Software as a Service' (SaaS) issue tracker product.
Our main website highlights some top reasons why people migrate from FogBugz to JIRA.Version 3.1 or later of the JIRA Importers Plugin is required.
These instructions refer to FogBugz On Demand, which is a SaaS implementation of FogBugz. To import from the installable FogBugz for Your Server implementation of FogBugz, please follow the instructions for here.
On this page:
Running the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard
Before you begin: If your JIRA installation has existing data — Back up your existing JIRA data.
Tip: FogBugz On Demand supports hierarchical issues. During the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard, you are given the option to recreate this issue hierarchy through JIRA issue links. Hence, before commencing the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard, you may wish to configure an custom issue link to replicate this hierarchy — for example:
- Name — 'Hierarchy'
- Outward Link Description — 'parent of'
- Inward Link Description — 'child of'
To import issues FogBugz On Demand:
- Log in to JIRA as as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission.
- Choose > System. Select Import & Export > External System Import to open the Import external projects page.
Keyboard shortcut: g + g + start typing external system import
- Select the Import button associated with the FogBugz On Demand option to open the Connect with FogBugz page.
On the Connect with FogBugz page, complete the following fields:
FogBugz On Demand URL Specify the URL of your FogBugz On Demand site. This is the URL you would normally use to access FogBugz On Demand through a web browser.
This is usually of the format
FogBugz Username Specify the user account that JIRA will use to access issues on your FogBugz On Demand site. FogBugz Password Specify the password of the user (above).
Click the Next button to proceed to the Setup project mappings step of the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard.
On the Setup project mappings page, select which FogBugz On Demand projects you wish to import into JIRA.
- All FogBugz On Demand projects are selected by default, so clear the check boxes under Import of the FogBugz On Demand projects you do not wish to import into JIRA.
For FogBugz On Demand projects you wish to import into JIRA, click in Select a project and then do either of the following:
- Start typing the name (or key) of a project that already exists in JIRA or use the dropdown menu to select an existing JIRA project.
- Select Create New from the dropdown menu and in the resulting Add A New Project dialog box, type the following:
- A new project Name
- A new project Key
This will be used as the prefix for all issue IDs in your JIRA project.
- The Project Lead.
- Click the Next button to proceed to the Setup field mappings step of the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard.
- On the Setup field mappings page, if there External fields in FogBugz On Demand whose values you wish to modify before they are imported into JIRA, select the Map field value check boxes next to the appropriate fields.
Please note that it is mandatory to map FogBugz On Demand's sStatus (i.e. Status) field to specific JIRA Status field values as the JIRA Status field is an integral part of JIRA workflows.
- The FogBugz On Demand field sStatus (Resolution) (i.e. Resolution), which will be mapped to the JIRA Resolution field, may also appear on this page.
- Select the appropriate JIRA Workflow Scheme in that will be used by the FogBugz On Demand issues you will import into your JIRA project.
If you are importing your FogBugz On Demand issues into an existing JIRA project, ensure that you choose the JIRA workflow scheme used by that existing JIRA project. Otherwise, your import may not complete successfully.
- Click the Next button to proceed to the Setup value mappings step of the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard.
On the Setup value mappings page, specify JIRA field values for each FogBugz On Demand field value (as detected by the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard).
Any fields whose Map field value check boxes were selected in the previous step of the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard will be presented on this page, including the mandatory sStatus FogBugz On Demand field.
- Click the Next button to proceed to the Setup links step of the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard.
- On the Setup links page, specify how want to map FogBugz On Demand's Parent / Subcase relationships through a JIRA issue links. To learn more about JIRA link types, please see Configuring Issue Linking.
You may wish to choose the 'Hierarchy' custom issue link you created before running the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard.
- Click the Begin Import button when you are ready to begin importing your FogBugz On Demand data into JIRA. The importer will display updates as the import progresses, then a success message when the import is complete.
Note: If you experience problems with the import (or you are curious), click the download a detailed log link to reveal detailed information about the FogBugz On Demand Import Wizard process.
Congratulations, you have successfully imported your FogBugz On Demand projects into JIRA! If you have any questions or encounter any problems, please contact Atlassian support.
Tips for importing FogBugz On Demand data into JIRA fields
The import process converts FogBugz On Demand data as follows:
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!