JIRA 6.0 Release Notes
21 May 2013
Meet the new JIRA
Modern. Fast. Mobile. Simple.JIRA 6.0 is a completely new JIRA. The redesigned look and feel brings a whole new user experience to JIRA. It is modern and simple, clearing away the clutter so that you can get your work done faster.
This release also includes a new detail view for search results, faster issue viewing, a mobile interface for JIRA, workflow sharing, features to help you get started faster, enterprise improvements, and much more!
New JIRA look and feel
JIRA 6.0 introduces a modernised look and feel that follows the new Atlassian Design Guidelines. This new user experience doesn't just look great, it also helps you get your work done faster. Information is easier to find and common tasks are simpler.
New detail view and view issue improvements
JIRA is optimised to let you quickly navigate lists of issues and take action on those items that need your immediate attention. The new detail view lets you view an issue within the context of the filter it is a part of, showing you both at the same time. We have also streamlined the interaction with the View Issue screen and removed page loads to speed things up.
Take JIRA everywhere! You can now view mobile-optimised versions of JIRA pages on your iPhone or Android phone. Simply browse to your JIRA server's URL using your mobile browser to bring up the mobile interface for JIRA.
The JIRA mobile interface is designed for viewing and interacting with issues on the go — triage your tasks for the day on the train, assign an issue to someone during a meeting, mention them in a comment, and more.Learn more...
The new Workflow Sharing feature lets you import a workflow directly from the Atlassian Marketplace, enabling you to use workflows that other people have published. You can also use this feature to move a workflow from staging to production in your own organisation or to share your own custom workflows.Learn more...
Get started fast!
JIRA 6.0 continues the work that we began in JIRA 5.1 and 5.2 to get you started faster with JIRA. When you create a new project, you can now select from different types of projects including Scrum and Kanban. The new administration gadget provides a handy checklist of tasks to get JIRA set up quickly, as well as links to useful functions and documentation.
- Editable usernames — The second most requested feature, as determined by customer votes, is here! JIRA Administrators can now edit any username in the JIRA Internal Directory. Learn more...
- Global workflow schemes — Now you can edit an active workflow scheme on a project: a draft is created, and the migration is handled through the normal migration process. Learn more...
- Translate custom fields — Customers whose users operate in different languages can now translate the names and descriptions of custom fields.
- JIRA to JIRA issue copy (Marketplace Plugin) — For customers with more than one JIRA server, you can copy an issue from one project to another, even if the projects aren't on the same JIRA instance. Learn more...
There's plenty more JIRA 6.0 features below to get excited about, but we think that this one is pretty cool. The Auto look and feel feature was a 20% project by one of our JIRA developers, Graeme Smith. With a single click, you can automatically apply a color scheme to JIRA that matches your company logo. Check out the example below:
Click to view the other features and improvements in this release:
- Stable search — Now, when you search, your search results remain constant until you choose to refresh them. This provides you with a stable set of search results that you can work from when triaging issues.
- Docking and undocking the filter panel — You can now hide the filter panel to gain more screen real estate. Simply click Undock at the top right of the panel.
- Bulk watch/unwatch feature — You can now start or stop watching multiple issues using the watch / stop watching bulk operation. Learn more...
- Browse Project Summary — Starting a new project? You'll be greeted by a more informative screen when you next browse your empty project's summary.
- New plugin points for the User Profile page — For the ecosystem developers, we have implemented new plugin points for the web panels in the User Profile page. Learn more...
- Reports have moved — We have moved reports from the dropdown menu on the Browse Project > Summary tab to a panel on the same tab, making them more accessible .
- Relative time used in date/time formats – Issue date/time fields show a relative instead of absolute date/time format (for example: Yesterday 12:00 PM instead of 20 May 2013 12:00 PM). You can still see the absolute date/time by hovering over the field.
- Global autowatch configuration — We've implemented a new JIRA option that allows administrators to disable the autowatch feature (introduced in JIRA 5.0.3) for all users. To configure autowatch for all users, navigate to Administration > User Preferences (in Users section) > Default autowatch.
- Maximum project name size and maximum project key size configuration — JIRA administrators will be able to set the maximum size for both the project name and project key in this release. Navigate to Administration > System > General Configuration and update Maximum project name size or Maximum project key size as desired.
- Application Navigator with configurable links — JIRA administrators can now configure links that appear in a handy dropdown menu in the JIRA header. Learn more...
More direct access to JIRA Administration
- Supported platforms — JIRA 6.0 supports Internet Explorer 10 and PostgreSQL 9.0. Learn more...
Special thanks to our 3rd party developers that maintain open source plugins for OnDemand! These folks keep the great open source plugins that are a part of JIRA OnDemand up to date with each release, making sure you continue to get great use from our most popular plugins.
The JIRA 6.0 team
Jeroen De Raedt
Tiago Kolling Comasseto
Andre Quadros Petry
Kuala Lumpur support
Voon Kiat Gan
Chung Park Chan
Amanda Wei Sai Nan Wei
John Chin Kim Loong
Joe Wai Tye
Yew Teck En
Zulfadli Noor Sazali
San Francisco support
Product marketing management