Logging time on issues
Jira Core provides the flexibility to set your estimation and tracking statistics differently depending on your team's needs. Time tracking features project schedule planning and time expectation management. Thanks to its reports, you can see the original and current time estimates for all the issues, and whether they're ahead or behind the original schedule. Teams often need to estimate how long a product will take to deliver in order to have conviction that the work will be completed. You'll be able to easily monitor the tracking time info by watching the issue time tracking color bars.
Here's how time tracking appears on an issue:
- Time tracking panel: Shows the time logged so far, and time remaining. Click anywhere on the panel to log time.
Before you begin
Make sure that your Jira admin has enabled time tracking, and that you have the Work on Issues, Delete Work Logs, and Edit Work Logs project permissions. Anyone with the Browse Project permission can view time tracking info on an issue.
We've released a new issue view for Jira Core boards, and we've started to roll it out for the full-page issue view and project issue navigator. The issue detail view will look a little different, some procedures will change slightly, and we have a new editor with markdown support. Take a look at our info page to see what's changed and get the latest updates.
Set a time estimate for an issue
Before you start work on an issue, you can set a time estimate to calculate how long you believe it'll take to resolve it.
- Select the issue and choose the Time estimate field
Enter the amount of time you believe it'll take to complete work on the issue
- You can specify additional time units after a time value 'X', such as Xw, Xd, Xh, or Xm, to represent weeks (w), days (d), hours (h), and minutes (m), respectively. If you type a number without specifying a time unit—you type "2" instead of "2h"—the default time unit that your Jira admin has specified will apply.
- Default conversion rates are 1w = 5d and 1d = 8h.
Log time on an issue
Once you've started to work on a specific issue, log time to keep a record of it. That'll let you to your original estimate with how long it actually took to resolve the issue.
- Open the issue and select ••• > Log time (or click + next to the Time tracking field)
Fill in the Log time fields and select Save
Items below this point aren't available in the new issue view just yet. Click the issue key to open the full-page view to perform these actions.
You can also log time when you resolve or close an issue by editing the log time fields.
Edit a time log entry
You can can edit your own time log entries if you've been granted the edit own work logs permission. You can also edit other people's time log entries if you've been granted the Edit All Work Logs permission.
Delete a time log entry
You can delete your own time log entries if you have been granted the Delete Own Work Logs permission. You can also delete other people's time log entries if you've been granted the Delete All Work Logs permission.
- Go to the issue and open the Work Log tab
- Hover over the time log entry to display the actions for the entry on the right side
Select the entry you want to delete and click the trash can icon
You'll be prompted to choose how the Remaining Estimate is affected by deleting the time log:
Option field Description Auto adjust Automatically add the time spent value to the current remaining estimate value. Leave existing estimate Don't change the issue remaining estimate value. Set estimated time remaining Manually set the issue's remaining estimate value to the specified amount. Increase estimated time remaining Increase the estimated remaining.
- Click Delete
Customized Jira sites
Jira applications can be customized by your Jira administrator by adding the log time and time tracking fields to the customized screens. This way, you can log time and specify time estimates on the same Jira screen when performing any Jira operation, like editing, creating an issue, or transitioning an issue to another status.
To work or specify time estimates on the same Jira screen:
- Navigate to the issue and view its details.
- Perform the customized Jira operation that allows you to log time and specify time estimates on the same Jira screen. For example, assuming that your Jira admin has added the time tracking fields to the Resolve Issue Screen and this screen also retains the default Log time fields, select Workflow > Resolve Issue at the top of the issue.
If your Jira admin has configured the Log time fields as optional, you can choose whether or not to log time by checking the Log time checkbox.
If your Jira administrator has made logging time mandatory, you won't see the Log time checkbox. You'll instead need to log time when transitioning an issue.