Navigate projects with the sidebar
The sidebar consists of two parts:
- A global sidebar where you can search, create issues or project, and manage your profile settings. Learn more.
- Either an application sidebar or a project sidebar, depending on your context.
The sidebar shows different navigation and menu items, depending on where you are in Jira.
Our bold, new colors help keep you oriented when navigating:
Blue means you're at the application level.
Gray means you're at the project level.
Dark means you're in settings.
You can collapse the sidebar to focus on your team's work and expand it when you're ready to move around:
- Hover over the right border of the sidebar
- Click or drag the sidebar out of the way.
The icons in the collapsed sidebar match the icons in the expanded sidebar, making it easier to find the link you need.
When working outside a project
When you work outside of a project, for example when searching for issues or viewing dashboards, the sidebar will appear a bright blue color. It indicates that you are at the application level, just above the projects.
At this level, you can navigate to:
- Issues, including filters and CSV importing
If you have add-ons installed, like Portfolio for Jira or Capture for Jira, you'll find links to them here.
Jira administrators can also access application, projects, issues, add-on, and system settings by selecting Settings.
When working inside a project
The sidebar displays project navigation and menu items when you navigate into a project. When you're working inside a project, the sidebar turns gray.At this level, you can navigate to:
Quick, easy project switching
We know that teams work across many projects. Now, you can quickly access your most-recently viewed projects. When you are in a project:
- Select the current project's name in the project sidebar.
- Select a recent project you want to switch to.