Attaching files and screenshots to issues
Before you begin
A JIRA administrator must enable specific user permissions so that you can add attachments and screenshots into issues. The most common permissions are briefly described below. For more information, your administrator should refer to Configuring file attachments.
- You can attach files and screenshots if your JIRA administrator has file attachments enabled.
- You need the Create Attachments permission in the appropriate projects.
- The screenshot feature only works with Windows or Mac client. If you use another operating system, you can attach a screenshot using the file attachment feature. For Linux users, please see our article for enabling this feature.
- If your JIRA admin has disabled thumbnails in JIRA's attachment settings, the image files will appear as a list.
- If your JIRA admin has disabled ZIP support in JIRA's attachment settings, the attachments feature will not be available. You must download the zip file to your computer before accessing its individual files.
- To remove attachments from an issue, you need one of the following the project permissions in that issue's project:
- Delete Own Attachments — to delete files that you have added to the issue.
- Delete All Attachments — to delete files that anyone has added to the issue.
- If you're using Internet Explorer versions 10+, you need to run Java version 1.7+ platform.
- If you're using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer 11, attaching screenshots relies on HTML5 compatibility. Safari is not supported.
You can add file and image attachments to any issue. To add an attachment when you first create an issue, copy a file from your computer and paste it directly in the Create Issue dialog. To add attachments to an existing issue, open the issue and follow these steps:
- Click More >Attach files.
- Add a file(s).
- Click Attach or Open.
You can also drag and drop files onto an issue to attach them directly.
- File formats: GIFs, JPGs, PNGs
- A valid file name cannot contain any of these characters:
'\', '/','\"', '%', ':', '$', '?', '*'.
By default, the maximum size of any one file is 10MB, although this limit can be customized by your JIRA admin.
Sorting and managing attachments
The attachments section of the issue displays a list of options to sort, manage, and download attachments. Select the down-arrow to the right of the attachments section to open the menu. You can reorder the attachments according to a selected criteria. This criteria will be applied to all issues in your project. To remove attachments from the issue, select Manage Attachments or hover over the attachment and select .
The selected criteria will be lost once you log out.
Accessing ZIP file contents
You can view the contents of a zip file (including '
.zip' or '
.jar' file name extensions) in the attachments section. Click the down-arrow and select List. In list view, click the arrow icon in front of the zipped file's name to view and download its individual files. If a file is located within a subdirectory of the zipped file, the path to that file is indicated in the content of the zipped file. To download the entire zip file, click Download Zip.
Capturing and attaching screenshots
You can capture a screenshot to the system clipboard and paste it directly into an issue.
- Capture a screenshot using your system keyboard shortcut.
- Paste the image from your clipboard onto the issue using your system keyboard shortcut or right-click menu. The Attach screenshot dialog will display.
- Enter a filename.
- Select Upload.