Fields missing on screens in Jira server
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
You've added custom fields to a screen, but yet they are not appearing for you when you create, view or edit an issue.
Any Jira version from 5.0 (including Jira 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x).
If you are running on Jira 5.0 or any higher version, you should try this to automatically determine why the field is not appearing by using the Field Helper functionality from the Jira Admin Helper. Please note that this add-on is free add-on which is automatically bundled with Jira and therefore does not need to be manually installed. Also, this add-on is supported by Atlassian, so please reach out to Atlassian Support if you face any issue using the Jira Admin Helper.
Otherwise, there are several explanations for why a field is not appearing:
- The custom field's context is not configured for the specific issue type or project you are testing on. Please verify your context settings under
Jira Administration > Issues > Custom Fields > Configure(for the problematic custom field).
- A field is not appearing is due to its Field Configuration settings. A field can be set to Hidden or Visible. Ensure it's not set to
- Check that the field is properly configured to the issue type screen scheme. Here's how to do that:
- Note which issue operation, issue type, and project is in use. For example, you are creating (issue operation) a bug (issue type) in Jira Service Management (your project).
- Begin by looking at your Project Administration. Find the issue type screen scheme.
- In the Issue Type Screen Scheme, check which issue type (e.g. Bug) is associated to which screen scheme. Find the issue type in question, and the associated screen scheme.
- For the Screen Scheme, check which issue operation (e.g. Create Issue) is associated to which screen.
- Finally, check to make sure your field is on this screen.
- If using a transition screen in a workflow transition, make sure you're using the correct screen.
- If the field requires a permission (such as Due Date or Attachment), check that the user has the correct permissions. See Managing Project Permissions.
- Only applies to the View Issue screen: when a custom field does not have any value set, this field will not show in the View Issue screen even if the field has been added to this screen. In order to be able to view this field, you will need to edit the issue first (in order to switch to the Edit Issue screen) and add a value to this field. After that, the field will be visible on the View Issue screen.
- Check if the Field Context is set correctly. See Configuring custom field contexts.
- If the issue is persistent try safe mode to see if it is related to any 3rd party plugin.