How to add Watchers or Request Participants during issue creation
Platform Notice: Cloud Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the cloud platform.
Sometimes it can be useful to have a list of Watchers or Request Participants added to issues so those users receive notifications about it from the start.
Currently, both the Watchers and Request Participants fields can't be added to the Create Issue screen (and to the Request Type settings for Service Management projects).
Creating a custom field
First, you'll need a custom field for the process to work properly. You can follow our documentation on creating a new custom field here:
When selecting a field type, make sure to use either the User Picker (single user) or User Picker (multiple users).
Optional: You can add default users to the field so they're always added as Watchers/Participants or leave it with no default value so users can add the correct Watchers/Participants when creating the issue.
After the field is created, don't forget to add it to the proper Create Issue screens for your projects! Learn more.
Adding the Workflow post-function
Find the desired Workflow you'd like to add the newly created field, and edit it:
Switch to Diagram mode, so the Create Issue transition is easily identifiable.
- Click the Create Issue transition
- Click the Post Functions link on the transition pop-up
- Click "Add Post Function"
- Select the "Copy Value From Other Field" Post Function and click "Add"
- On the next screen, select the newly created custom field as the Source Field and Watchers or Request Participants as the Destination Field
- Select the "Copy within same issue" option and click "Add"
- Publish your workflow draft so the changes are effective
Now, whenever a new issue is created using that workflow, the users added to the custom field will be copied to the Watchers or Request Participants field automatically, making sure those users will receive notifications for that issue following your notification settings!