How to fix directory permissions in Windows for Jira Server
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
On many occasions, JIRA is not able to run properly due to file or directory permission error
You will first need to find out the user who run JIRA.
- If you are running applications as a Windows service :
Navigate to the Service in Windows, i.e. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
Locate Atlassian Jira service, right-click and view the Properties
Go to the Log On tab and check the account
See Running Jira applications as a Windows service for how to run as a service
- If you are running applications manually by <jira-install>/bin/startup.bat :
From The System Info page on your JIRA instance
From the Support Zip ( application.xml file ) search for <JIRA_USER>
From the $JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-jira.log, search for 'user.name'
Fix the permission of the JIRA Home & Installation directory
- Go to Jira Home/ Installation directory, right-click and view the Properties
- Go to the Security tab and check permission for who is running Jira. If the user doesn’t have Read & execute, Read, Write permission click Edit… and allow it
- If you cannot find Jira user please click Add… and search group/user.