How to remove stop words in JIRA's Lucene indexing.
The information on this page relates to customizations in JIRA Applications. Consequently, Atlassian Support cannot guarantee the provision of any support for the steps described on this page as customizations are not covered under Atlassian Support Offerings. Please be aware that this material is provided for your information only and that you use it at your own risk.
Also, please be aware that customizations done by directly modifying files are not included in the upgrade process. These modifications will need to be reapplied manually on the upgraded instance.
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
To provide a workaround guide for removing common words(for each local language) defined as stop words in Lucene's indexing. Removing the stop word would enable searching using the word previously defined as stop word in JIRA.
- Stop your JIRA instance.
- Locate the jar file <lucene-analyzers-x.x.x.jar> at <jira_installation_directory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib.
- Copy the jar file to a different location.
- Extract the contents of the jar file. It should contain an org and META-INF folder.
- In the extracted folder, go to org/apache/lucene/analysis/snowball/ and locate your locale language's <language_stop.txt> file. (This would be the indexing language that you are using for JIRA):
- Open the intended file, locate the stop word and remove it. Save the file.
- Once done, compress and save the folders as .jar file with the original name.
- Rename the original <lucene-analyzers-x.x.x.jar> at <jira_installation_directory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib to a different name as backup.
- Copy the modified .jar file into <jira_installation_directory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib.
- Restart JIRA and perform re-indexing.
- You should now be able to search using the word in JIRA.