JIRA 5.2 Service cannot be started with a Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified
- After upgrading JIRA to 5.2 using the bundled installer, the JIRA service cannot be started when with a "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." error displayed.
- JIRA appears to be using a different version of Tomcat in 5.2, yet the path to the executable in the JIRA service refers to an incorrect version.
The following error is displayed in Windows:
Due to a bug as tracked under - JRA-30518Getting issue details... STATUS in the bundled installer, JIRA has not correctly updated the Windows Service to point to Tomcat 7 and is using the incorrect Tomcat version. JIRA 5.2 has been bundled with Tomcat 7 where 4.3+ versions were bundled with Tomcat 6.
- Open a command prompt window as an Administrator and navigate to your installation folder. By default this will be
Navigate to the bin folder and run:
If this fails, the service can also be removed manually with the following, replacing
JIRA240912142634with the actual ID of the service (edit it through the Services Manager to locate the ID).
C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\tomcat7.exe //DS//JIRA240912142634
- Restart the machine.
Navigate to the same bin folder and run the below, which will reinstall the service and correctly point to Tomcat 7.
- You can now start the JIRA service
This method requires a change to the Windows Registry. Please be very careful when doing so as improper changes can corrupt the registry - create a backup prior to doing so. This is done at your own risk and consult with the System Administrator of the JIRA server prior to making any changes.
- Click on the Windows start button and Run.
regeditand press Enter.
Find the parameter using the following sequence:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM >> CurrentControlSet >> services >> <name-of-JIRA-service>
- Edit the ImagePath to change the
Tomcat 6reference to