Operations that are related to user lookup resulting in 'The JIRA server could not be contacted. This may be a temporary glitch or the server may be down.' error
This article only applies to the Atlassian server platform. Learn more about the differences between cloud and server.
Accessing page or performing operations that are related to user lookup in JIRA is throwing such error message on UI;
The JIRA server could not be contacted. This may be a temporary glitch or the server may be down.
To narrow down the root cause, please perform the following:
- Enable Safe Mode to rule out any problematic third-party plugin.
- Bypass the Proxy to rule out any misconfiguration on the Proxy (only if you are running JIRA behind a reverse Proxy).
- Check if this is happening in different browsers and also on different machines.
- While reproducing the problem, some requests are returning 415 HTTP error code which can be observed in the HAR file.
- Dynatrace is integrated with JIRA - this can be easily checked from JIRA:
- Navigate to
Administration > System > System info.
- Find for JVM Input Arguments.
Check if you can find the following line or something similar that has been configured:
You can skip this steps if you already have the knowledge of JIRA is being monitored by Dynatrace.
- Navigate to
This is related to Dynatrace monitoring tool.
- Disable the monitoring tool by removing the JVM Input Argument - please refer to Setting properties and options on startup for the steps on how to remove the configuration.
- Reach out to Dynatrace - Support for further investigation.