Service-specific error code 4 when starting Jira service in Windows
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
After following the instructions on Running Jira applications as a Windows service page, or after upgrading the instance, Jira can't be started with "service-specific error code 4".
The following appears in the Windows Event Log:
The "Jira" service terminated with service-specific error The system cannot open the file.
- Jira Server
- Windows OS
- Ensure that Jira is running on supported platforms
- Check the article Problems installing Jira as a service on Windows 64bit to see if there's an issue with an incompatible Tomcat applet type
When executing the command "
service.bat install Jira", the Command Prompt console was not run as an Administrator account. This causes the Jira service to be installed without sufficient privileges for accessing the required files. This can also be caused by the service logon account not having enough permissions to start the service, especially if it's set to a network service account.
- Remove the service with the command "
service.bat remove Jira"
Note: If the service name was customized, you might need to update the command, navigate to the service in Windows, i.e. 'Control Panel' -> 'Administrative Tools' -> 'Services' and locate "Atlassian Jira"
- On the Administrator command prompt, follow the instructions to Running Jira applications as a Windows service
- If the issue persists: Open the service properties, go to the log on tab and change the option to Local System Account