Sharing Violation error when saving image
When using Internet Explorer, if you attach an image to a ticket, the file keeps locked after uploading it.
The following error appears in Windows:
A sharing violation occurred while accessing <filename>
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11; Windows OS (any version with IE10 or IE11); Any JIRA version.
- Start JIRA;
- Start Paint;
- Create an image on Paint and save it;
- Create an Issue in JIRA and add the file created as an attachment;
- Submit the Issue;
- Edit the image in Paint;
- Save Paint (same filename) - Error appears.
This problem occurs due to a bug in Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11, tracked by Microsoft here. Unfortunately, seems this was closed as "Won't Fix", so you need to follow the Workaround from this document in those cases.
There are two different workarounds for this case:
- Use a different browser during the uploads;
- Close the Internet Explorer browser after the upload, so it will release the file again for the other application.