Troubleshoot email notifications in Jira Service Management
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
This article details how to troubleshoot email notifications in Jira Service Management. Specifically it is primarily targeted at why they may not be getting sent to Jira Service Management customers.
Notifications in Jira Service Management projects operate differently from notifications sent in Jira Core or Software Server. Specifically, Jira Service Management requests are Jira issues that:
- Are in a Jira Service Management enabled project.
- Have a valid Customer Request Type (or Request Type / Service Management Request Type).
Issues that do not meet both criteria are not Jira Service Management requests. They are regular Jira issues and not affected by the Jira Service Management notification system.
Regular Jira issues (those that do not meet the criteria above) will default to the Jira Project Notification Scheme. In this case, any users that are Jira Service Management Customers will not receive notifications, as they are not considered to be regular Jira users.
Jira Service Management Notification Scheme
Issues that are affected by the Service Management notification system will have altered notifications to the reporter/customer.
- Notifications to the reporter/participants/customers will be sent according to the "Events triggering notification to customer" noted below.
- Notifications to users other than the reporter/participants/customers will be sent according to the project's notification scheme.
- Notifications to the reporter/participants/customers will always be HTML or plain text as detailed in Configuring service project notifications.
Requirements for Jira Service Management emails to be sent to customers:
- Jira email is enabled
- Outgoing mail has been configured
- Jira Service Management notifications are enabled
- In Jira Service Management project
- Contains valid customer request type
- Is the reporter or a participant of the issue
- Has a valid email address
The events that trigger notifications differ depending on the version of Jira Service Management that you are running. See the Configuring service project notifications page for your version of Service Management.
If the answer to the question is 'Yes', continue, otherwise follow the instructions in the 'No' column.
|Is this a valid Jira Service Management request (Service Management project / request type)?|
Can the customer can see the request under "My Requests" in the customer portal?
|Do you know if Jira mail is fully configured?|
|Are Jira Service Management notifications enabled?|
|Is the user a participant or reporter of the issue?|
|Does the reporter have a valid email assigned to their user?|
|Have you performed any testing on the mail address?|
|Have you checked the logs?|
|Have you investigated the mail server?|
|Are you having issues sending out notifications only for the Resolved and Reopened actions ?|
An error may be returned by the address.