User mentions are not working as expected in Jira server
Platform notice: Server and Data Center only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the Server and Data Center platforms.
Support for Server* products ended on February 15th 2024. If you are running a Server product, you can visit the Atlassian Server end of support announcement to review your migration options.
*Except Fisheye and Crucible
The @mention feature (as from Emailing an Issue) does not work as expected, with one or more of the following symptoms:
- @mention does not populate username
- Pressing Enter to auto-complete a username does not work
- The mentioned username does not appear properly as the user's display name, but as [~username]
- No email is sent to the mentioned user
Here're possible causes for each of the above symptoms:
- There're 2 possible causes:
- This is caused by Zephyr plugin, as reported in - JRA-41358Getting issue details... STATUS
- The field where the user is being mentioned is not using Wiki Style Renderer
- There're several possible causes for this:
- the outgoing mail server is not functioning
- the mentioned user does not have Browse Project permission
- the issue where he's being mentioned has a security level that restricts him from viewing it
- There is an empty Recipient against one of the Notification Events (a notification event is set up to have a recipient, but is blank) on the Notification Scheme page.
- Ensure that the user has Browse User global permission, as in Managing Global Permissions
- Upgrade JIRA to 6.1.1 or above
- Check out the bug ticket for more information
Ensure that the field is using the Wiki Style Renderer, as in Configuring Renderers
- Ensure the outgoing mail server is working properly and the mentioned user is able to view the issue
- Delete any empty Recipients against a Notification Event