Using JIRA for Agile Development
Note: This content was created specifically for JIRA 3.x. While most of this information remains accurate for the latest versions of JIRA, some aspects may be out of date.
Extreme Programming. Scrum, Lean Development. Feature-Driven Development. Agile development. All these are methodologies have revolutionised the way we develop software. It helps teams to deliver a higher level of quality code more quickly, more frequently and in better alignment with what customers really want.
While Agile development offers a new way of thinking about software development, its fundamental unit is still a task — and those tasks need to be organised, allocated, scheduled and tracked as they proliferate. That's where JIRA comes in.
JIRA keeps you agile because it is a lightweight, web-based tool for task and issue tracking. JIRA can:
Here are some real world examples of JIRA being used in agile software development. It's a great place to learn and get ideas when starting out with JIRA and agile software development.
Agile @ Atlassian
We're not a "follow the rules" software company and we know there is no single recipe for practicing agile development. We were once hungry for practical tips, so we thought we should share our agile story... more.
Past Blogs - Atlassian Teams Practising Agile
- The JIRA development agile process (fours parts).
- The Confluence development agile process.
- Using JIRA and Confluence for agile development, further resource: Integrating JIRA with Confluence.
Atlassian Customers Practising Agile
- Change Control & JIRA - Chris Woodill of Navantis.
- JIRA for an Agile project - Kieran Shaw of BlackPepper.
- Agile video (1 hour) - Jeff Schilling, CTO of S1 Enterprise.
- Customising JIRA with Story points - Kieran of BlackPepper.
- JIRA and Rally video (40 mins) - Mark Ringer of Rally Software.
- Automating and opening up product planning and slideshare - Christina Noren of Splunk.
- Agile practices utilizing JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, with GreenHopper and Balsamiq Mockups plugins video (50 mins) - Oren Teich of Replicate Technologies.
JIRA also has a number of great plugins that can take your agile development even further. Listed below are the most popular agile plugins we recommend and you might also like to see all the JIRA plugins.
The most popular commercial plugin for agile development. Provides a simple interactive interface to manage projects, burndown charts, sprint planning boards and more:
- GreenHopper Plugin page.
- JIRA and GreenHopper customer case study video (14 mins).
- Customer blog and video (45 mins) using JIRA and GreenHopper - Cody Burleson.
- CFO Approval Required - For developer changeset verification.
- Custom Issue Order and Ranking Plugin - Custom field to order issues, useful for work queues or fine grained prioritising.
- Integrate JIRA with a version control system.
- Integration with Silver Catalyst.
- Using JIRA For Time Tracking - Discusses a range of timesheet and time tracking reports.
- Agile Wall Report - Report for viewing issue statuses in the same way as in agile project progress walls (issues in three columns: to do/in progress/done).
- JIRA Charting Plugin - Provides a visual representation of a project or a saved filter in different contexts.
- Agile Velocity Tracking Plugin - A plugin that will help you track story point and velocity for tasks completed in an iteration.
- Laughing Panda JIRA Agile Report Plugins - Provides a workload burndown chart (in hours or from a custom field like Story Points) and FIT integration
Integration with Atlassian Tools
With the suite of Atlassian products you can take your agile development to another level. The Atlassian tool set is designed to integrate with one another to help your team collaborate in an agile way:
- Fisheye - see changelogs for every check-in associated with a JIRA issue.
- Crucible - see the code-review for each issue you've closed. Or learn which issues are still in need of review.
- Bamboo - see immediately if a build affecting your issue has failed.
- Clover with Bamboo - get automatic reports on test coverage and code quality for each commit relating to JIRA issues.
- Confluence - easy team collaboration to share JIRA roadmaps, workflow, and tasks, Bamboo build success, or to document your work.
- Crowd - making authentication transparent with web-based single sign-on and connection to your LDAP repository.
- IDE Connector - Lets your developers work from Eclipse and IntelliJ.
Other Development System Integrations
You can integrate JIRA with any development system you like, it's just a matter of creating a JIRA extension. Here are some that we know of:
- Our Story Board is Better Than Yours - Janusz Gorycki of SPARTEZ.