Configuring initiatives and other hierarchy levels
Levels of hierarchy
All information in the scope view can be viewed and filtered by issue hierarchy levels. The three levels of hierarchy by default are:
- Epics - An epic is typically a very large user story, that is expected to take multiple sprints to complete. An epic is broken down into multiple stories, and is represented as an issue type in Jira.
- Stories - A story is a small body of work that represents a product requirement. Multiple stories can be used to make an epic.
- Sub-task - A sub-task is a unit of work contained within a story. It can be created to either split the issue into smaller chunks, or to allow various aspects of an issue to be assigned to different people.
You can also setup custom levels of hierarchy above the epic level such as initiatives.
- Initiative - An 'initiative' is a very large body of work, which spans multiple epics and sometimes, multiple teams. Initiatives can be re-named to match a specific agile framework of an organisation. An initiative is also an issue type in Jira.
Learn how to configure initiatives.
Learn how to create new hierarchy levels.
How to switch the hierarchy level view
- Go to your plan > Scope.
- Click the current hierarchy level and choose from the dropdown. Keep in mind that if you change the level, both your scope table and schedule will display the issues that belong to that level.