Configure field layout in the issue view
This page is about configuring the fields that appear in the new Jira issue view for classic projects. If you're working in a next-gen project, take a look at Customize an issue's fields in next-gen projects..For information on configuring the old issue view, go to Defining a screen.
Choosing which fields appear on your team's issues, and which of those are most important, can help your team get more done in less time. If there are a few fields you fill out for every bug, for example, it makes sense that those fields are always visible and probably somewhere towards the top of the issue view. If you're a project administrator, you can set up the issue view for your project in the way that works best for your team.
Issue layout settings are for individual projects. You can't share issue layout settings between projects right now.
- Description fields: This section is for the default Description field and other multiline text fields.
- Context fields: Fields above the hide when empty line in configuration appear at the top of this section, above the Show more link.
- Show more: Fields under hide when empty are hidden behind this link when they don't have a value. When they have a value, they'll appear above Show more.
- Configure issue layout: Click Configure to change the position and visibility of fields in the issue view.
When configuring your issue layout, there are three sections: description fields, context fields, and hidden fields.
Description fields generally contain long-form content, like paragraphs of text to describe the issue. The default Description field and other multi-line custom text fields go in this section. This section usually appears on the left side of the issue (or at the top in a single-column layout).
Context fields contain the smaller pieces of contextual information that help you sort, filter, and report on issues. This section normally appears down the right side of the issue (or at the bottom in a single-column layout).
Hide when empty
The context fields section also has a divider you can use to sort always-important fields from sometimes-important fields. Fields above the hide when empty line are always shown in the issue view, regardless of whether they have a value or not. Fields below this line are hidden under the Show x more fields link when they don't have a value. When a field below the line has a value, it moves above the Show x more fields link.
This section is for fields that you don't want to appear on the issue view at all. When configuring the layout for an issue type, drag fields to the right side of the screen and drop them in the Hidden fields section.
Configure issue field layout
- Open an issue of the type you'd like to configure
- Click Configure at the bottom-right of the issue (near the created and updated dates)
- Add, remove, and drag fields in the field categories until you're happy with the setup.
- Choose Save changes.
If a group of issue types—tasks and subtasks, for example—use the same view issue screen, which they do by default, you'll configure the fields for those issue types all together as a set.
Add fields and create field tabs
The available fields for an issue type are the ones added in the global screen configuration for viewing that issue type. To add more existing fields to an issue type, or create and manage field tabs, you need to visit that global configuration screen.
You need to be a Jira admin to complete this process.
Open an issue and click Configure at the bottom-right of the issue (near the created and updated dates)
- Click the link to the appropriate screen configuration at the top of the page
Add (or remove) the desired fields
- Add, remove, and edit the field tabs
Once you have tabs configured, you can edit or rearrange them by opening an issue and choosing Configure at the bottom-right of the issue. Tabs appear in the context section on the right side of an issue. Click the tab to see and edit its fields.
- Field tab name
- Fields in the tab
- To make a field required, check out Specifying field behavior.
- See how to add fields that don't appear in the issue layout screen .
- To add fields that don't exist yet, see 2020-01-31_06-08-39_Adding, editing, and deleting a custom field.