Before you begin
You must be a JIRA administrator or a board administrator for the board to enable ranking.
Navigate to the desired board, then select more ( ) > Board settings.
Note that only the administrator of a board (or a person with the 'JIRA Administrators' global permission) can configure a board.
Click the Add Rank button. This will append the following to your filter's query, with
ORDER BY Rank ASCas the default setting:
You can also rank issues by other issue properties — for example,
- JIRA Software automatically creates a custom field called Rank, of type Global Rank. Please ensure that your JIRA instance contains only one custom field called Rank, and that the Rank field is assigned to the global context (i.e. not to specific issues or projects).
- When ranking is enabled for Scrum projects, you can:
- move issues from your Scrum backlog to relevant sprint sections
- rank issues within currently active sprints and sprints being planned out
- When ranking is enabled for Kanban projects, you can:
- move issues from your Kanban backlog to your work-in-progress section
- rank issues within your Kanban board and the work-in-progress section in your Kanban backlog
- When using a ranking setting other than
ORDER BY Rank ASC, and moving issues from the backlog to relevant sections, the issues are automatically ranked based on the filter query of your board.
Need help? If you can't find the answer you need in our documentation, we have other resources available to help you. See Getting help.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!