Get started with next-gen projects
Create a next-gen project
Note that all users can create a next-gen project, even non-admins. If you're a Jira admin and you want to restrict this, you'll need to remove the Create next-gen projects permission. For more information on global permissions, see Managing global permissions
- Click Search ( ) > View all projects.
- In the top-right corner, select Create project > Try a next-gen project.
- Under Template, click Change template and select either Scrum or Kanban.
On the board
Note that if you have Sprints enabled, you won’t be able to create issues directly on your board until you’ve started a sprint.
Issues represent tasks to be completed. Create issues in any of your board's columns so your team can track work progress.
- Create issues by hitting the + button in any column (or click the + icon in your project sidebar).
- Select an issue type if your project uses multiple issue types to categorize work.
- Enter a description of your issue, and hit Create to add it to your board.
Other quick ways to create issues:
In any position on your board: Add an issue in the middle of a column by hovering your mouse between two issues and selecting +.
Create multiple issues at once: On your board, select + and paste several lines of text into the box to create an issue for each line. This is especially useful if you want to create issues from a spreadsheet!
Try to keep an issue's details both short and descriptive. Team members should be able to scan the board quickly and get an overview of their team's work.
On the backlog
Select Backlog in the project menu on the left and hit + Create issue to add an issue to your backlog.
Add, edit, and rearrange columns
You can add, edit, and rearrange columns to make the board reflect your team's process.
- Column name: Update the column's name by clicking it.
- Rearrange columns by clicking and holding the header to drag and drop.
- Add columns by clicking the + beside the farthest column.
The last column of your board is always the resolution column. This means that:
- If you have sprints enabled: When you complete a sprint, these issues won't return to the Backlog.
- If you don't have sprints enabled: These issues will be automatically removed from your board after 14 days.
Resolved issues have a checkmark on them, like this:
Move issues between columns
As work is completed, you'll want to move issues across your board, to indicate progress. Drag and drop an issue to move it. You can select multiple issues with either the Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac) key. Once you've selected multiple issues, you can move them all to a new column, or perform other actions by selecting •••.
Add images to issues
Quickly and easily add images to issues, and choose your favorite to display as the preview on the board:
- Open an issue by clicking on it.
- Click Add attachment ( ).
- By default, the first image you add will display as the preview. Change it by hovering over a different image and clicking Show on card.
- Edit or annotate images after they've been attached by hovering over an image and clicking the paintbrush icon.
- To hide a preview image from displaying on the board, hover over the image and click Hide on card.
- Switch off the entire feature by going to your board's settings (•••) and clicking Hide cover images.
Choose the best view for your board
- Assignee filter: Display only issues containing a search term, or assigned to a specific person, and hide the rest.
- Other filters: Display only issues that contain specific labels or epics, and hide the rest.
- Group by: List issues under swimlanes based on the chosen category.
Search for archived issues
After 14 days, issues in the Done column will be automatically removed from your board and archived, so the board doesn't get cluttered. Find archived issues by clicking Looking for an older issue? at the bottom of the Done column, or by clicking Search () in the sidebar.
If you want to learn more, or want to ask us about Jira Software's next-gen projects, join the discussion at Atlassian Community.