Transitioning an issue
Transition an open issue
If you have an issue open already, you can transition it by clicking on the current status and choosing a new status or transition.
Transition on a board
- In the Active sprints (Scrum projects) or on the Kanban board (Kanban projects), transition an issue by dragging and dropping the issue from one column to another.
When you start dragging an issue, you can only transition the issue to columns whose backgrounds turn blue. When the issue is hovered over the target column, the blue background turns green.
If a dialog box opens for your workflow transition status, complete all mandatory fields (indicated by a red asterisk) before submitting the form.
If the target column is associated with more than one status, when you hover the issue over that column, each status will appear as a separate section with a dashed outline. Complete the transition to the appropriate status by dropping the issue onto the section of the column.
Transition multiple issues
Depending on the following conditions, you can press the Shift or Ctrl key to select and transition multiple issues from the backlog to the next status in your project's workflow:
- You have the transition issues permission.
- The statuses of the issues are already mapped to the board's columns.
- Your project's workflow supports the particular transition for the multiple issues selected, and all transition conditions are met.
- The issues you're transitioning have the same set of transitions.
- The issues you're transitioning don't have any associated transition screen.
Transition issues with subtasks in the Kanban backlog
- To transition both the parent issue and its subtasks, drag and drop the parent issue while it's collapsed to the corresponding section.
- To transition just the parent issue or a subtask, expand the parent issue first, then drag and drop only the parent issue or the sub-task to the corresponding section.
- If all subtasks of an issue have been completed, you need to resolve the parent issue itself. When you move the last subtask to the Done column,
Jira Softwarewill prompt you to move the parent issue as well. If you resolved the subtasks in native
Jira Softwareinstead, a button will be displayed on the parent issue the next time you visit the Active sprints page.