Setting up your workspace
- Setting up your workspace
- Customizing your project
- Creating your backlog
- Grooming your backlog
- Planning your sprint
- Tracking your progress
- Wrapping up your work
- Doing more with your agile projects
When setting up your JIRA Software workspace, you'll need to do the following:
- Sign up for a JIRA Software site.
- Create your project.
- View your Scrum board.
Sign up for a JIRA Software site
If you want to install JIRA Software Server instead of signing up for JIRA Software Cloud, see these instructions: Installing JIRA applications, then skip to the 'Create a project' step below.
You will need your own JIRA Software site for this tutorial. Let's set you up with a JIRA Software Cloud site. Cloud is our hosted offering and will allow you to set up your own site without installing a thing! If you already have a site, you can skip this step.
Signing up for JIRA Software will provide you with a fully functional JIRA Software site for one month.
- Open this link in a new tab to view the Atlassian Cloud signup page.
- Follow the signup form steps to enter your site URL and administrator username.
- Once you have completed the signup process, grab a quick coffee (tea works as well!) — it takes about 10 minutes to create your JIRA Software Cloud site. You'll receive an email when your Cloud site is ready.
Create your project
A JIRA Software project is a collection of issues and tools that allows your team to coordinate the development of a piece of software. Every project contains configurable boards and workflows that you can create and customize to fit your team's workflows.
- Log in to your Cloud site using the link and credentials you set when you signed up. You'll see the System Dashboard, as shown below.
- Choose Projects > Create project, and then select your project type. Typically, you would choose 'Scrum software development' for iteration planning, or 'Kanban software development' for constraint-based task management.
For this tutorial, let's do Scrum since most software developers use scrum in agile projects.
- Choose Scrum software development > Next.
- In the Name field, enter Teams in Space.
- Choose Submit to create your new project.
View your Scrum board
A Scrum board is automatically created with your new project. Use your Scrum board to view and work on issues, such as new features or bugs. You can rank, view, edit, and track issues on your scrum board via the Backlog, Active sprints, and Reports. Don't worry, we'll discuss these three along the way.
This is what your Scrum board will look like:
Congratulations, you now know the basics of the JIRA Software interface, and have just created your first project! Let's go ahead and customize it!