Transitioning an issue
JIRA Software will respect your JIRA workflow configuration, and will trigger all your JIRA workflow validations, conditions, functions, and notifications when you transition issues (See Workflows for more information.) However, note that boards currently don't auto-assign issues to you.
To transition an issue to a different JIRA workflow status on a board:
Click Boards (in header) > select your desired board.
- In the Active sprints(Scrum board) or Kanban board(Kanban board), transition an issue by dragging and dropping the issue from one column to another.
When you start dragging an issue, you can only transition the issue to columns whose backgrounds turn blue. When the issue is hovered over the target column, the blue background turns green.
- If the target column is associated with more than one status, when you hover the issue over that column, each status will appear as a separate section with a dashed outline. Complete the transition to the appropriate status by dropping the issue onto the section of the column.
If a dialog box opens for your workflow transition status, you must complete all mandatory fields (indicated by a red asterisk) before submitting the form.
If an issue has sub-tasks, and all sub-tasks have been completed, you need to resolve the issue itself. When you move the last sub-task to the 'Done' column, JIRA Software will prompt you to move the parent issue as well. If you resolved the sub-tasks in native JIRA Software instead, a button will be displayed on the parent issue the next time you visit the Active sprints page.
Depending on the following conditions, you can transition multiple issues from the backlog to the next status in your project's workflow:
- You have the transition issues permission.
- The statuses of the issues are already mapped to the board's columns.
- Your project's workflow supports the particular transition for the multiple issues selected, and all transition conditions are met.
- The issues you're transitioning have the same set of transitions.
- The issues you're transitioning don't have any associated transition screen.
- You can select multiple issues by using the Shift or Ctrl key while clicking the issues. However, you can't transition multiple issues by dragging them to another column. You can only move multiple issues within the same column.