Confluence 1.4-DR7 is the first release-candidate build of Confluence 1.4. In 1.4-DR7 we have resolved over 120 issues: mostly related to fixing bugs and polishing up the application for a stable release. We anticipate that DR7 will be the last major build before the stable 1.4 release.
DR7 is not a public release. It has been built and deployed onto http://confluence.atlassian.com as part of our internal quality-control process, but we have decided that the developer time required to make this a public beta release would be better directed towards continuing the push towards a final, stable 1.4 build.
Who should upgrade?
Since Confluence 1.4-DR7 is not publicly available, nobody should upgrade. The upgrade note below is just for completeness, so when we come to gather all these release notes together into a single note for 1.4, we don't miss the warning.
Upgrading Confluence should be pretty easy. If you are upgrading from Confluence 1.3 or higher, you can find instructions here. We strongly recommend that you backup your
confluence.home directory and database before upgrading!
If you are upgrading from Confluence 1.2.3 or earlier, be sure to read the upgrade instructions in the Confluence 1.3 release notes.
When you first start Confluence 1.4-DR7 after upgrading, the server may take a few minutes to become fully functional. This is because Confluence is rearranging information in the database so that it can be looked up more efficiently. This will only be done the first time Confluence is started after upgrading.
New Features in Confluence 1.4-DR7
The changes made between DR6 and DR7 are mostly correctness and polish issues - major feature development on Confluence 1.4 has been completed. A few notable changes however are:
- You can now customise the site's name alongside the logo
- The display and navigation of page history diffs has been improved significantly
- Webdav configuration has been reinstated to the same functionality as 1.3.5
- An "insert image" popup has been added to the page editing screen, that can select images from the page's attachments. There is also an Attachments tab in the "insert link" popup. Allowing file upload from these popups has not yet been implemented (CONF-3099)
- Many improvements and fixes to email notifications
- Marking your change as a "minor edit" will prevent email notifications being sent
- The new Component plugin module adds new beans to the Spring context
- You can now uninstall plugins via the web interface
- The default theme has various keyboard shortcuts (see the tabs on this page)
- The Include Page Macro can now include pages from other spaces
- For developers, macros can now decide whether or not they have a body
- Report showing all attachments to pages in a space (check it out!)
- Generally improved notifications including a much more usable "File Attached" notification
- "View wiki source" link, for all those source junkies...
And much much more.