- JIRA application crashes
- The Mail Queue is not flushed, and JIRA applications are no longer sending out email notifications.
- The Activity stream or search is not updated with recent content
The following appears in the
The JVM running JIRA applications has hit an OutOfMemory Error (OOME). This is thrown when the Java Virtual Machine cannot allocate an object because it is out of memory, and no more memory can be made available by the garbage collector.
After an OutOfMemory error, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) will likely be in an unstable state and hence it is essential to restart your JIRA applications immediately.
If you receive an OutOfMemory Error, follow these instructions to increase the memory available to JIRA applications and also to enable logging for garbage collection:
Are you in the right place? This page refers to Heap Space Memory issues, as indicated by the snippet in the Symptoms description. There are a set of other memory related problems such as the following. Please use the appropriate KB based on the error in the logs.
- Stop your JIRA applications.
- Increase the maximum memory available to the JVM as per our Increasing JIRA application memory docs. We recommend small increases of 256m at a time or 512m for larger instances.
- Enable Garbage Collection (GC) logging as per Using Garbage Collection Logs to Analyze JIRA Application Performance.
- Start your JIRA applications so that the changes to memory and GC logging are in effect.
Our Troubleshooting Performance Problems KB contains further information on troubleshooting these problems. As a follow-up, proceed with the steps below for a root cause analysis: