Confluence 4.3 has reached end of life
Check out the [latest version] of the documentation
You can mention a person in a special way that prompts Confluence to send that person an email notification. This is called an @mention. It works on Confluence pages, blog posts and comments.
When you save the page, Confluence sends an email message to the user letting them know that they have been mentioned on that page (if they have permission to view the page) with a link to the relevant page.
Note: Use the person's full name. The user mention feature recognises the full name only, not the username.
There are two ways to mention someone:
- The quickest way is to start typing '@' and the person's name, then choose from the suggestions that Confluence offers. This is called autocomplete.
- Alternatively, you can choose Insert > User Mention from the editor toolbar.
Each of these methods is described in more detail below.
Using autocomplete to mention someone
To mention someone using '@':
- Edit the page.
- Click where you want to insert a mention and type '@' and then the first few characters of the user's full name.
- Choose the user's name from the list of suggestions.
Screenshot: Autocomplete for mentions
Accessing the user mention option in the editor toolbar
To add a user mention via the editor toolbar:
- Edit the page.
- Choose Insert > User Mention. Confluence will add an '@' sign to the page, and display a dropdown list of suggested users for you to choose from.
- Start typing the person's name, to refine the list of suggestions.
- Choose the person from the list of names.
Screenshot: The user mention option in the editor toolbar
- Seeing your mentions in the Confluence workbox. The Confluence workbox displays all notifications collected from page watches, shares and mentions. See Workbox Notifications.
- Disabling the user mention feature. The functionality is provided by a plugin called the 'Confluence Mentions Plugin'. To remove the user mention functionality from your site, you can disable the plugin. See Disabling or Enabling a Plugin.
- Mentioning groups. It is not possible to mention a group and then have the email sent to the entire group. You can only mention individual users. There is a feature request to allow mentions for groups: - CONF-23015Getting issue details... STATUS