The Planning Board enables you to prioritise and schedule issues. Issues are represented as cards, colour-coded according to issue type (e.g. Story, Bug, Task, Improvement, etc). Version, component and assignee information is summarised at the right of the Planning Board, allowing you to quickly gauge the backlog for each. Project administrators can add new versions on the Planning Board, to create product, release and sprint backlogs.
You can also manage cards (issues) via the Planning Board. Issues can be easily scheduled and prioritised by dragging and dropping them. You can also perform common JIRA tasks, such as adding, updating and deleting issues (provided you have the appropriate JIRA permissions).
To view the planning board for your project,
- Login to JIRA.
- Select your project from the project dropdown in the top left of the planning board (above the 'Planning Board' dropdown), if it is not already selected. The 'Planning Board' will refresh with information for your project.
Tip: you can also jump directly to the Planning Board when viewing an issue in JIRA, by selecting 'Planning Board' from the 'More Actions' menu.
Screenshot: GreenHopper Planning Board (click to view larger image)
The screenshot above shows an example Planning Board. To learn more about each part of the Planning Board, please see the sections below and the documentation linked from those sections.
Planning Board — Navigation Bar
- Board dropdown — Select another GreenHopper board to view (Task Board, Chart Board or Released Board).
- Project dropdown — Select the project whose issues you wish to view.
- Context dropdown — Select the context by which to filter issues ('Default', 'On the fly', or other contexts you have created). You can also select 'Manage' to edit your existing contexts, or 'New' to create a new context. Read more about contexts in Using Contexts to Filter and Highlight Issues.
- Refresh icon — Click the icon to reload the contents of the Planning Board.
- Viewing Mode dropdown — Select the viewing modefor your Planning Board:
- Viewing Mode sub-dropdown — Select the sub-category of the viewing mode. Read more about viewing modes in Using Planning Board Modes.
- 'New Card' — Click the 'New' link to create a new card (i.e. issue). For details see Creating an Issue in GreenHopper.
- 'Views' dropdown — Select from the following:
- 'Tools' dropdown — Select from the following:
- Pagination — Click a page-number to go to the desired page.
- Quick Filters— Click the following filters to refine the collection of displayed cards:
- 'Only My Issues' — Only display issues which are assigned to you.
- 'Only Pending Issues' — Exclude any issues that are part of a child version or component. (This filter is available on the Planning Board only)
- 'Hide Done Issues' — Only display issues which have not yet been resolved.
- 'Hide Sub-tasks' — Only display issues which are not sub-tasks of other issues.
'Quick Filters' only affect the cards that appear on the current board. Unlike context filters, these filters do not affect the values presented in the Statistics Column.
- Search — See Searching for Issues on a Board.
Planning Board — Issues
- Released — The icon indicates that this issue was resolved in a sub version that has been released, but it is still shown in the parent version as it is assigned to that version as well.
- Flagged — The icon indicates that this issue has been flagged for special attention.
- Issue Type and Priority — These two icons indicate the Type of this issue (e.g. Task, Bug, Improvement, etc) and its Priority (e.g. Critical, Major, Minor).
Click the icon (which will appear when you hover over the Issue Type or Priorityicons) to display a drop-down menu containing:
- Update Priority --— Click to edit the Priority field for this issue.
- Add Sub-task — Click to add a sub-task to this issue (if sub-tasks are enabled).
- Edit in JIRA — Click to open the JIRA 'Edit Issue' screen, on which all issue fields are available for editing.
- Flag as Impediment — Click to flag this issue for special attention.
- Comment — Click to quickly add a comment to this issue.
- Delete — Click to delete this issue.
- Issue Key --— Click to view the details for this issue.
- Editable Fields — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover) to edit the following fields:
- Fix Version
- Sub-tasks — Click to display a dialog box showing the issue's sub-tasks. You can drag-and-drop subtasks within this box to re-order them.
- 'Work Logged' (if applicable) — the amount of time that has been spent on this issue. Click to log work on this issue.
Planning Board — Statistics Column
The content of the Statistics Column will differ depending on the viewing mode selected. For example, when 'Version' mode is selected (as shown in the image above), the 'Parent', 'Start Date', 'End Date' and 'Release Date' fields will be shown, and the 'Add' button will appear at the top of the column. You can read more about about viewing modes in Using Planning Board Modes.
Administrators should also see Adding a Version.