Configuring JIRA Service Desk notifications
By default, when an request is created through the customer portal, JIRA Service Desk overwrites the project's JIRA notification scheme and suppresses emails that would be sent to the reporter by the notification scheme. In addition to configuring JIRA Service Desk's notification scheme, you can select either HTML or plain text as the default type for service desk email notifications.
On this page
Who receives service desk notifications
|Your customers||Your team|
Your customers, i.e. the reporters of issues, receive email notifications when the following events happen:
In this case, the issue reporter is also prevented from becoming an auto watcher on the issue to prevent duplicate notifications.
|The project's JIRA notification scheme takes effect for all users on your service desk team.|
Configuring notifications for a JIRA Service Desk project
Two settings impact how notifications work for a service desk project:
The Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk at the system level and it controls the JIRA Service Desk notifications for all service desks. This setting is enabled by default and can be found here:
Choose > Add-ons. Scroll down to the JIRA Service Desk section and choose Configuration.
Keyboard shortcut: 'g' + 'g' + start typing 'service desk'
- The JIRA notification scheme that is associated with the project.
- If the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is enabled, the JIRA notification scheme takes effect for the other users.
- If the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is disabled, the JIRA notification scheme works as defined for all events and users.
Setting the notification email type to HTML or plain text
As a JIRA admin, you can set the default email type for service desk notifications. If the default type is set to HTML, dual-encoded notifications are sent, allowing your customers to then select the HTML or plain text view in their mail client. If your customers rely on software that requires plain text or use a plain text mail client, you can change your default setting to plain text and apply this change to new and existing customers.
- Choose > System. Scroll down to the User Interface section and choose Default User Preferences.
Keyboard shortcut: 'gg' + start typing 'default user preferences'
- Select Edit default values.
- Change the Default outgoing email format to html or text and click Update.
At this point, the email format you have selected will only be applied to new service desk customers. If you also want to override the email format chosen by existing service desk customers and agents:
- Under Operations, select Apply.
- Select Update to finish applying the email preference to all user accounts.
Notes on service desk notifications
Only changes between the customer-visible 'status names' will trigger email notifications (e.g. a transition between two workflow statuses can be hidden on the Portal by giving them the same 'status name'). For more information about workflows, see Configuring request types and workflows.