Attaching files and screenshots to issues
Before you begin
A Jira administrator must enable specific user permissions so that you can add attachments and screenshots to issues. The most common permissions are described below. For more info, your administrator should take a look at Configuring file attachments.
- You can attach files and screenshots if your Jira administrator has file attachments enabled.
- You need the Create Attachments permission in the appropriate projects.
- The screenshot feature only works with Windows or Mac client. If you use another operating system, you can attach a screenshot using the file attachment feature. For Linux users, please see our article for enabling this feature.
- If your Jira admin has disabled thumbnails in Jira's attachment settings, the image files will appear as a list.
- If your Jira admin has disabled ZIP support in Jira's attachment settings, the attachments feature will not be available. You must download the zip file to your computer before accessing its individual files.
- To remove attachments from an issue, you need one of the following the project permissions in that issue's project:
- Delete Own Attachments — to delete files that you have added to the issue.
- Delete All Attachments — to delete files that anyone has added to the issue.
You can add files and images to any issue in your service desk project. When working on an issue, drop a file onto the issue or select more (•••) > Attach files. You then have the option to add a comment with more information about the attachment, and then share the file and comment with your customer or with your internal team only.
Connect your file storage services like Dropbox and Google Drive in the add attachment dialog to add your cloud-hosted files to issues.
When adding or editing a comment, you can also selectto add attachments. In this case, you'll see wiki markup added to the comment field. As soon as you share your comment, you'll see the file preview.
To attach files to linked issues in the new issue view, use the quick-add buttons below the issue summary.
- Quick add buttons: Add attachments, subtasks, linked issues, and content from Atlassian Marketplace apps.
- File formats: GIFs, JPGs, PNGs
- File names can't contain any of these characters:
'\', '/','\"', '%', ':', '$', '?', '*'.
By default, the maximum size of any one file is 10MB, but your Jira admin can change this limit.
Sort and manage attachments
The attachments section of the issue displays a list of options to sort, manage, and download attachments. Select the down-arrow to the right of the attachments section to open the menu. You can reorder the attachments according to a selected criteria. This criteria will be applied to all issues in your project. To remove attachments from the issue, select Manage Attachments or hover over the attachment and select.
The selected criteria will be lost once you log out.
Access ZIP file contents
You can view the contents of a zip file (including '
.zip' or '
.jar' file name extensions) in the attachments section. Click the down-arrow and select List. In list view, click the arrow icon in front of the zipped file's name to view and download its individual files. If a file is located within a subdirectory of the zipped file, the path to that file is indicated in the content of the zipped file. To download the entire zip file, click Download Zip.
Capture and attach screenshots
You can capture a screenshot and drop or paste it directly onto an issue.