Send alerts with Jira Service Desk webhooks
Add a webhook to a Jira Service Desk automation rule
A Jira Service Desk webhook is a THEN action in an automation rule. When you configure a rule you can specify WHENs and IFs, then use the webhook to define your action.
Before you begin:
- The destination URL needs to be allowlisted in Jira.
To add a webhook to a Jira Service Desk automation rule:
- Go to Project settings > Automation.
- Create a Custom rule or edit an existing rule.
- Configure the WHEN and IF settings as you like.
- Add a THEN action and choose Webhook from the dropdown.
- Configure the webhook settings, name your rule, then hit Save.
See the example below of an automation rule that posts a message to Slack when a major incident occurs:
Read the developer tutorial for detailed information on how to configure Jira Service Desk webhooks.
Payload body options
You can choose one of the following three options for the payload's request body:
- Send empty payload - you might choose this option if you're communicating with an app that requires no information.
- Send Jira issue as payload - the Jira issue, user, and any comments will be sent.
- Send custom payload - you can choose the variables to include and customize your payload – you'll need to specify your payload in JSON format. Check the Encode as form box if you want the payload to be URL-encoded.