Installing Jira Service Desk
Jira Service Desk is built on the Jira platform and has everything your IT teams need for service request, incident, problem, and change management. It's part of the Jira family of applications (Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, Jira Core) and can be used separately or in any combination, on the same instance.
If you're ready to install or upgrade Jira Service Desk, then this guide has you covered. If you have Jira Service Desk installed and would like to learn how to configure and use it, head to the Jira Service Desk documentation.
1. System requirements
Before you install Jira Service Desk, you'll need to check if it supports your operating system, as well as a few other things.
If everything looks good, it's time to decide which version and license is right for your organization. If you've already made a decision, jump to Install Jira Service Desk.
2. Versions and licensing
If you plan on managing your own Jira Service Desk instance (not hosted by Atlassian), you have the option of either a Server or Data Center license. Your license determines which features and infrastructure choices are available.
For organizations who need more time to prepare before upgrading to a new version, but still want critical bug fixes, an Enterprise release is a good choice.
- Jira Service Desk licensing and purchasing
- Jira Server and Data Center feature comparison
- Long Term Support releases
If you're clear on what you're getting and why, it's time to install Jira Service Desk.
3. Install Jira Service Desk
Here we'll talk you through how to install Jira Service Desk to trial and put into production, as well as how to add additional Jira applications to your existing installation.
Install Jira Service Desk to trial
- Download the installer for your operating system at https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/download.
- Follow the steps at Evaluation installation. Jira Service Desk comes with a handy embedded H2 database that you can use for evaluation purposes.
- Once installed, read Getting started for service desk admins to learn what you can do with Jira Service Desk.
If you'd like to move into production, consider starting afresh by following the Install Jira Service Desk for production guides below.
Install Jira Service Desk for production
- Set up your database by following the guide that applies to you at Connecting Jira applications to a database.
- Install with your operating system by following the guide below that applies to you:
- Once installed, follow the tutorial on Getting started for service project admins to set up Jira Service Desk for your support teams.
Install additional Atlassian products
If you have Jira Core or Jira Software installed, you can install Jira Service Desk as an additional application, and vice versa.
Head to Administration () > Applications > Versions & licenses and follow the steps below:
- Check which version of Jira Service Desk is compatible with your existing installation at Jira Service Desk version history.
- Ensure you have Jira Administrator Global Permission.
- Follow the steps at Installing additional applications and version updates.
- Read the documentation for the product you've installed, to learn how to get started.
4. Upgrade to a newer version
There are several ways to upgrade Jira Service Desk. The method you choose will depend on the version of Jira Service Desk you use, and the type of environment you use it in.
Steps to take
- Decide which version to upgrade to by reading the release and upgrade notes.
Determine your upgrade path:
Version Upgrade path Earlier than 2.5.x Upgrade to 3.0, then upgrade to the latest version. 3.0 to 3.16 Upgrade directly to the latest version. 4.0 or later Upgrade to 4.0, then upgrade to the latest version.
Choose your method from the below options and follow the steps on that page:
5. Get the most out of Jira Service Desk
Now you have Jira Service Desk installed, there's plenty of resources to help you set it up, learn the features, and get your dream team using it.
Best practice guides
- Set up a knowledge base for self-service
- Best practices for IT teams using Jira Service Desk
- Best practices for software teams using Jira Service Desk