Create a repository
Whether you have no files or many files, you'll first want to create a repository on Bitbucket Cloud. From there, you can clone your repository to your local system and start working on it.
To create a repository, do the following:
- Click + in the global sidebar and select Repository under Create a new.
- Choose a repository Owner.
This only appears if you are creating under an account with membership in one or more teams.
- Enter a Name and Description for your repository.
- Check This is a private repository if you want to hide your repository from the general public, so that only selected people can see it.
- Select the Repository type.
- Click Create repository.
If you create a repository with mixed upper and lower case name, Bitbucket converts the name to all lower case in the repository URL. The name appears in mixed case in the UI. You cannot create two repositories with names that result in the same URL.
After you create a repository, Bitbucket provides you with a help panel. This help panel is an easy way to get command tips for moving forward.