G Suite FAQs
This page covers frequently asked questions about the G Suite integration.
How will user management work when I integrate G Suite with Atlassian Cloud?
When G Suite and Atlassian Cloud have been connected, you'll select the group(s) that you want to sync to your Atlassian site. When you choose to sync, the following things occur:
- Users who are new to your Atlassian site—We'll provision and invite these users, giving them default application access the first time the sync runs. As a result, you can start mentioning them in comments or issues even before they start using the product.
- Existing users on your Atlassian site—We'll link them to their G Suite account the first time the sync runs, based on their primary email address.
Users on your verified Google domains:
Click the Log in using Google button to log in.
If your users are unable to log in with Google, it may be because they signed up for an Atlassian account using an email alias. If that's the case, see I can't log in to my Atlassian account using my Google credentials because I use an email alias.
- Need to contact their G Suite admin to change their Atlassian account details (full name and email address).
- Now change their password from Google.
- Have their name and email address synchronized from Google to their Atlassian account every 4 hours.
As an admin, you'll manage the following from the Google admin panel:
- Your users' account details, which will be synced to your Atlassian site every 4 hours.
- Your user password policy and password resets.
We'll automatically claim the domain(s) on your G Suite account on your behalf, which will allow you to change user account details. Anyone who has an Atlassian account on your verified domains will receive an email informing them that their account is now managed. You can learn more about managed accounts and domain verification.
After I grant the permissions required, I cannot sync my users. What's wrong?
To connect to G Suite, you must be an admin on your G Suite account and have the correct permissions. Make sure you have the following required admin privileges:
Why did the G Suite integration change the email address of my Atlassian account?
When you connect your site to G Suite, your users must log in with Google and cannot use an email alias. Because of this, the G Suite integration will look at any email aliases (secondary email) associated with the account in G Suite and update the user's Atlassian account to use this primary email address instead.
Why was the email address on my account changed to an email alias with "+atlassian_conflict" attached to it?
Recently, your Google-linked Atlassian account email address was updated, but there was an existing Atlassian account with the updated email address. To keep both accounts accessible, we changed the email address of the old account to an email alias something like this:
To log in to your:
- Google-linked Atlassian account, click Log in with Google.
- Account that's associated with the alias, click Having trouble logging in? on the Atlassian account login screen. We'll send you an email with a magic link that lets you log in to your account instantly.
Why are there are users in my user base with "+atlassian_conflict" attached to their email address?
We recently updated the email address for their Atlassian account, but we detected another account with the same email address. To keep both accounts accessible, we changed the email address of the old account to an email alias something like this:
Your users can now log in to their primary email account via Google. To log in to the account with the email alias, they'll need to click Having trouble logging in? on the Atlassian account login screen. We'll send them an email with a magic link that lets them log in to their account instantly.
Why can't I log in to my Atlassian account with my Google credentials using an email alias?
To log in to an account that's associated with an email alias, click Having trouble logging in? on the Atlassian account login screen and follow the prompts. We'll send you an email with a magic link that lets you log in to your account instantly.
We recommend you contact your admin to change your account's email address to your primary email address.
Why is the full name in my Atlassian account not synchronized with the full name from my Google profile?
Google introduced a feature that allows G Suite administrators to give users the ability to edit their profile (see this Google documentation). However, the Atlassian integration with G Suite syncs with Google's Directory API and the data there, including a user's full name, can only be updated by G Suite administrators. Consequently, the name a user enters when they edit their Google profile differs from that available on the Directory API and is not available to the Atlassian G Suite integration.
We recommend not allowing user editing of their name (see this Google documentation) in order to avoid confusion.