How to change the Confluence License in confluence.cfg.xml
You might need to manually change the license directly in confluence.cfg.xml for any number of reasons including:
- upgrades are failing
- the license is corrupted
- the license cannot be changed in the Confluence UI
- Install a new instance of Confluence using the same version. Be sure to use the license listed at https://my.atlassian.com
- You can use the embedded HSQL database for this step as we just need the license information.
After you have completed all steps in the Confluence setup wizard, open this new instance's
This new install doesn't have to run on the same server where the license needs to be applied.
Identify the properties below:
<property name="atlassian.license.hash">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</property> <property name="atlassian.license.message">yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy</property>
Some versions of Confluence do not require a hashed license. In these versions, you simply need to edit the
- Copy these properties into the original <Confluence_home>/confluence.cfg.xml, replacing the information already there and start Confluence.
- Feel free to delete the temporary instance at this point.