To start a Sprint:
- Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Click Plan on the board.
- Make sure the sprint footer (the grey horizontal marker) is positioned below the issues you want to include in your upcoming sprint. Drag it up or down, or drag issues up from the backlog, as needed.
Click Start Sprint.Why is Start Sprint disabled?
You will not be permitted to start a sprint, unless all of following conditions are met:
- You can only start a sprint if there is no active sprint. While a sprint is active in Work mode, you can still plan subsequent sprints in Plan mode, but you won't be able to start one until the active sprint is completed. (You can, however, drag and drop an issue in Plan mode onto the active sprint.)
- You will need to have the JIRA 'Administer Projects' permission in the project(s) whose issues are to be included in the new sprint. This means that if your board includes issues from multiple projects, you need to have the 'Administer Projects' permission in each of those projects.
- Ranking must be enabled on the board.
If you do not have an estimation statistic applied to an issue, you will receive a warning when starting the sprint (unless you are using Issue Count, as this is calculated automatically).
- You will be prompted to enter a sprint name and to select the Start Date and End Date for the sprint.
You will be taken to Work mode, where your newly started sprint will now be shown.
Screenshot: a board in 'Plan' mode — starting a sprint (click to enlarge)