Plan mode is where you plan your sprints. When a sprint is ready to begin, click Start Sprint to move it into Work mode.
Plan mode is only available for Scrum boards.
To access a board in Plan mode:
- Log in to JIRA.
Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Your board will be displayed. Click Plan.
Screenshot: a Scrum board in 'Plan' mode (click to enlarge)
In Plan mode you can:
- Prioritise the Backlog — Create issues for your backlog, rank and estimate them, and drag-and-drop to add them to a sprint.
Right-click selected issues to add them to a sprint, send them to the top/bottom of the backlog, export them to Excel, view them in the JIRA Issue Navigator, or perform .
- Estimate Stories — You can use the 'J' and 'K' keys to move through issues in the backlog and get details on the right-hand side of the screen. Plug in your estimates or story points as you go.
Note that, by default, the Story Points field is only available to issues of type 'Story' or 'Epic' — you can change this as described in GreenHopper JIRA Configuration.
- Create Sub-Tasks — To break a story (issue) down into implementable chunks, go to the sub-task tab (click the folder icon) to view and create sub-tasks.
- Organise via Epics — Group related stories into an epic. Click EPICS to view the Epics panel, where you can create epics, drag-and-drop issues into epics, and filter by epics.
- Plan Versions — Assign issues to upcoming versions. Click VERSIONS to view the Versions panel, where you can create and edit versions, assign issues to versions via drag-and-drop, and filter by versions.
- Plan, and Plan Again — When you're happy with the stories for the iteration, start a sprint and the stories will move into Work mode. While a sprint is active in Work mode, you can still plan subsequent iterations in Plan mode (click Add Sprint), but you won't be able to start them until the active iteration is completed. (You can, however, drag and drop an issue in Plan mode onto the active sprint.) Note that you can only start (or complete) a sprint if you have 'Administer Projects' permission for all projects that match the board's filter.
An issue will only be visible in Plan mode if:
- the issue matches the board's Saved Filter (see Configuring Filters); and
- the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column).
Screenshot: right-clicking an issue in 'Plan' mode
Using Quick Filters
A Quick Filter refines the collection of issues displayed on your board. Quick Filters appear immediately below the board name in Work mode and Plan mode. Click a Quick Filter to apply it (click it again to turn it off).
By default your board includes two Quick Filters:
- Only My Issues — Only displays issues which are assigned to you.
- Recently Updated — Only displays issues which were updated in the last 24 hours.
If any custom Quick Filters have been configured for your board, they will appear next to Only My Issues and Recently Updated.