Install a Jira Data Center trial
Want to quickly get up and running with Jira Data Center? This page will guide you through a few simple steps to install and set up a trial Jira Data Center site.
A trial license gives you access to a full instance of Jira Data Center for 30 days. At the end of the trial period your Jira Data Center site will become only and you’ll have the option to buy a full license to continue using it, so you won’t lose any of your projects or data. Learn how to generate a trial license
Before you begin
Jira installers come with all the bits and pieces you need to run the application, but there are a few things you'll need to get up and running:
For the list of supported platforms, see Supported platforms.
Operating system: A computer or laptop with a supported operating system—you'll be running a Jira installer, so you'll need admin rights.Supported operating systems...
You can install Jira on a Windows or Linux operating system.
Apple Mac isn't supported for production sites, but if you're comfortable setting up applications on your Mac from scratch, you can download the
tar.gzfile and follow the instructions for Installing Jira applications on Linux from Archive File as the process is similar.
Database: You don't need a database if you're planning to evaluate Jira Data Center on a single node as it comes with a built-in H2 database. If you want to set up a production instance though, you’ll have to migrate your data to an external database. To evaluate clustering features, you'll also need an external database so your nodes can access it. For clustered applications we highly recommend you use Kubernetes.
Web browser: You'll need it to access Jira.
- Email address: You'll need it to generate your 30-day trial license and create an account.
Ready to get going? Let's start by downloading the installer.
1. Download the installer
Download the installer for your operating system:
- Jira Software: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download
- Jira Service Management: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/download
2. Install your Jira application
The installer allows you to select Express or Custom installations. The Custom installation allows you to select some specific options for Jira, but for this guide we'll use the Express installation.
- Run the installer, we recommend running with a Windows administrator account.
If prompted, make sure you allow the installer to make changes to your computer. This will allow you to install Jira as a service.
- Select Express install, then select Next.
- Once installation is complete, it will ask you if you want to open Jira in your browser. Make sure this option is selected, then select Done.
- Jira will open in your default browser, and you're ready to start the setup wizard.
Change to the directory where you downloaded Jira then execute this command to make it executable:Jira Core
$ chmod a+x atlassian-jira-core-X.X.X-x64.binJira Software
$ chmod a+x atlassian-jira-software-X.X.X-x64.binJira Service Desk
$ chmod a+x atlassian-servicedesk-X.X.X-x64.bin
-X.X.Xis is the version you downloaded.
Run the installer, we recommend using
sudoto run the installer as this will create a dedicated account to run Jira and allow you to run Jira as a service.Jira Core
$ sudo ./atlassian-jira-core-X.X.X-x64.binJira Software
$ sudo ./atlassian-jira-software-X.X.X-x64.binJira Service Desk
$ sudo ./atlassian-servicedesk-X.X.X-x64.bin
- When prompted, select Express install (option 1).
- Once installation is complete head to http://localhost:8080 in your browser to begin the setup process.
3. Set up your Jira application
The setup wizard is the last step in getting Jira up and running. You'll need your email address to generate your evaluation license.
- Single node: If you're installing on a single node, select Set it up for me. This will allow Jira to set up everything it needs to run, including an H2 database.
- Cluster: If you're installing in a cluster, select I'll set it up myself. This will allow you to provide connection details to your own database.
- Create an account or log in with your Atlassian ID account.
- Follow the prompts to generate a license for the Jira application you want to try, and apply it to your new installation.
- Enter and confirm the details you want to use for your administrator account, then select Next.
It will take a few minutes to get everything connected and operational. Once that's done, you're ready to go!
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article