Managing project role membership
A Jira application project role is a flexible way to associate users and/or groups with a particular project. Unlike groups, which have the same membership throughout Jira applications, project roles have specific members for each project. Users may play different roles in different projects.
This page contains instructions for managing membership of existing project roles. For information on creating and using project roles, see Managing project roles.
For all of the following procedures, you must be logged in to Jira as a project administrator.
Viewing project role members
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, select Administration > Projects, and select the relevant project.
Choose Users and roles in the left menu to view and manage project role membership.
Assigning a user or group to a project role
- Open the Users and roles page as described above.
- Select Add users to a role from the top right corner.
Search for the user or group you wish to add, and select the project role you wish to add them to.
Note that the Browse Users global permission is required to search for existing users or groups at this step. If you do not have this permission, you will need to specify the exact name or email address.
- Select Add.
After the user or group has been added to the list, you can quickly change their roles by using the drop-down menu in the Roles column. Just open the drop-down and select or clear roles assigned to this user.
- Because group membership can only be edited by users with the Jira Administrator global permission, project administrators may therefore prefer to assign users, rather than groups, to their project roles.
- A project role does not need to have any users or groups assigned to it, although project administrators should be careful with this. Depending on how a project role is used (e.g. if the project's permission scheme is using project roles), it is possible that not having anyone in a particular project role could make some project activities unavailable.