Bamboo remote agent fails to connect with SSLException: Unsupported or unrecognized SSL message
Platform notice: Server and Data Center only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the Server and Data Center platforms.
Support for Server* products ended on February 15th 2024. If you are running a Server product, you can visit the Atlassian Server end of support announcement to review your migration options.
*Except Fisheye and Crucible
Bamboo remote agent fails to connect with
SSLException: Unsupported or unrecognized SSL message.
You may see the below error message in the
INFO | jvm 1 | 2023/02/02 13:13:12 | javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unsupported or unrecognized SSL message
INFO | jvm 1 | 2023/02/02 13:13:12 | at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.handleUnknownRecord(SSLSocketInputRecord.java:457) ~[?:?]
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unsupported or unrecognized SSL message can occur if protocols on the connection address are incorrect. For example, if you specify a port that is NOT SSL but you choose settings that try to connect via SSL, this can occur. It is the equivalent of trying to browse HTTPS protocol on a webserver port that is only listening for HTTP protocol.
- Verify the configuration of the Bamboo's Base URL and Broker client URL are with the correct protocol in use. If necessary update the value and restart Bamboo Server.
- Please check the Bamboo Base URL or the page Installing a remote agent and Running a remote agent section to find the correct URL for remote agent installation. Ensure this address is reachable by the server you're running the remote agent from.
- Verify and if necessary update the
$BAMBOO_AGENT_HOME/conf/wrapper.conffile and adjust the wrapper.app.parameter.2=<bamboo-server-URL>/agentServer/ with the correct value and protocol.
- Restart the Bamboo Remote Agent
Please check the below articles for securing Bamboo server and Bamboo remote agent.
- Securing Bamboo with Tomcat using SSL
- Securing your Atlassian applications with SSL using Apache