How to change the wrong encoding in Bamboo that is causing crashes or characters to display incorrectly
- You are trying to create issue from Bamboo and it crashed
- Code changes with special characters such as umlauts are replaced with different characters
- Angled brackets in the UI are replaced with different characters
- The build logs are getting cluttered with different characters.
The system character encoding is wrong with the expected being
UTF8. Another possible cause could be the encoding for the database itself.
Bamboo version 5.1.0 onwards
Edit <Bamboo Installation Dir>/bin/setenv.sh (.bat for Windows or follow this article if you are starting as a service)
Add this line in quotes under JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS=
- Restart Bamboo and check that your system encoding changes to utf-8 from the System information page.
Bamboo version before 5.1.0 / Bamboo Agents using Wrapper
- Shutdown Bamboo / Agent
Add this line:
wrapper.java.additional.#=-Dfile.encoding=utf-8 wrapper.java.additional.#=-Dsun.jnu.encoding=utf-8Please replace the number # with the next available digit in the series of java additionals
- Restart Bamboo / Agent and check that your system encoding changes to utf-8 from the general configuration page.
NoteIf you are using MySQL, as stated in our documentation, make sure to include Unicode and character encoding.