Authentication Error - "remote: Invalid username or password"
Receive error "Invalid Username or password" when authenticating to Bitbucket Cloud via git,. The full error message as below.
Sample Error Message
remote: Invalid username or password. If you log in via a third party service you must ensure you have an account password set in your account profile. fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://email@example.com/xxxxxxx/xxxxxxx.git/'
One of the possible causes for this issue is that there are stored credentials in your git client or credential manager which interferes while authenticating with Bitbucket Cloud. It could also mean that the credential manager is not providing the correct credentials for authentication.
To solve this, you will have to clear any stored credentials in your machine and reset your Atlassian Account password. Please refer to the steps below.
- Firstly reset your password at "https://id.atlassian.com"
- Ensure you are able to login to Bitbucket Cloud - "https://bitbucket.org"
- Clear stored credentials on your machine
- Windows Machine - Navigate to Credential Manager and clear stored credentials related to Bitbucket Cloud.
- MAC Machine - Navigate to Keychain Access and clear stored credentials related to Bitbucket Cloud
- Once this is done, try to login to perform a git operation authenticating to Bitbucket Cloud once again.